I stand alone

I’ve been here for years. Unloved. Unnoticed. That’s me.

Nobody ever asks how I’m feeling. No one ever asks what I want. It’s just take, take, take. So much noise, so much chaos. Hands clamping around me, legs running around. Sirens, shouting, panic and relief. Then it all stops as quickly as it began. Once again, silence.

When they leave, I cry. I’m not ashamed to say it. Tears roll down my cold, red body and form tiny rivers that trickle forever onwards down the street. Once a sparrow danced and bathed in my tears. They soon stopped after that.

Posted as part of a 100 word photo prompt by Friday Fictioneers.

copyright-renee-heath

Tagged , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “I stand alone

1. neenslewy says:

I thought at first you were writing from the statue’s point of view… but the fire hydrant – now that’s different!

Well, it’s nice to be a little different from time to time. Hope you enjoyed it. Looking forward to contributing every Friday.

That was a great angle to take, I loved the line ‘Once a sparrow danced and bathed in my tears’ good job 🙂

3. summerstommy2 says:

Great take on the prompt. The personification of the hydrant is excellent.

4. Joe Owens says:

So glad you joined us in this. The perspective of the fire hydrant is unique. I have read nearly fifty of the responses and yours is the only from that perspective.

5. dailyshorts says:

I never thought I would feel sorry for a fire hydrant. Loved the line, “Tears roll down my cold, red body and form tiny rivers that trickle forever onwards down the street.”

Good job! 🙂

6. pattisj says:

Ah, the life of a fire hydrant. We don’t pay them much mind, do we?

7. Ah poor fire-hydrant. and no-one wants action from that one.

8. Dear Mr. Binks,

I’m thinking I should be welcoming you to Friday Fictioneers. It’s addictive.

Poor fire hydrant. We do take them for granted, especially the canine population.

9. Aw. poor fire hydrant. It gets lonely standing ready to put out the flames of the living.

10. It took me a moment to realize the fire hydrant was the narrator. It’s a wonder so few did this as it is very prominent in the picture.

11. Welcome! It took me a minute to realize who was talking (after all, I don’t hear fire hydrants every day.) 🙂 Good to get some recognition for the fire hydrants. Where would we be without them.