The tree

He knew it was going to be a bit of a squeeze, but Tom knew he could do it. Barry, was less than confident.

“Don’t do it. Seriously. I’ll give you the five bucks.” Barry checked his seatbelt for the 3rd time and thought about a daring leap as the car sped towards the fallen tree.

Tom replied by narrowing his eyes and pushing the accelerator to the floor.

“Tom, please, I did physics, remember? You said it wouldn’t pay off in the long run. Well I’m telling you now. Physics say this car will NOT fit under this tree!”

Posted as part of a 100 word photo prompt by Friday Fictioneers.

copyright-roger-bultot

18 thoughts on “The tree

1. Dear Mr. Binks,

So now that he’s got the car under the tree, how’s he going to get it out from under? Leave it to young men to do stupid things on a dare. Fun one.

2. Dear Mr. Binks,

Fun with physics?
    I think ‘took’ physics would worka tad better than I ‘did’ physics. Just me. Sorry if that unsollicited tidbit is out of line.

Aloha,

Doug

I’m going to plead “territorial differences” on that one, or perhaps it’s just the way Barry speaks? – but yes, if we were to follow the Queen’s English then I would make you quite right.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the feedback.

3. Ye Pirate says:

Very funny in a sad way!

4. misskzebra says:

This is the point where I’d be snatching the steering wheel and screaming, “STOP NOW, YOU CRAZY PERSON!”

By the way, is the comma after Barry in the second sentence necessary?

I seriously doubt that anyone else will approach the prompt from that angle … someone trying to get under it, rather than having it fall on them. Full marks for originality.

6. neenslewy says:

I agree with Sandra – most people won’t create this humorous scenario- I am still smiling.

I should have thought of something like this myself. Having spent some of my previous life as passengers in cars with people who hadn’t taken physics…. Ironically it was in a car with a graduate of ‘Science’ that I found myself in the middle of a risen by floodwater fjord praying as the water went over the headlights we would at least reach the other side. We did. Killed his car though. He should have listened to me, huh!

7. Linda Vernon says:

Haha! It sounds like something I might have done the math on! HA!

8. paulmclem says:

I laughed, which is good.

In critique mode I would not have used the word “knew” twice in the first sentence. Repeating such a jarring word so close together always grates for me. Just a personal thing.

Do you know, I completely agree with that comment. I wrote it in about 10 minutes and left it in because I’d hit the 100 word count bang on. If I was more flexible to myself I’d have changed that.

9. Carrie says:

When I began reading I wondered if Tom was going to try and go OVER the tree…physics definitely would say that was a BAD idea 😉

Small critique, since it’s such a short piece, it would be better to keep it all in one POV. There is a switch from Tom to Barry after the first line.

10. Adam Ickes says:

I think it’d be more common sense or algebra than physics that would determine whether or not the car would fit, but still a good little story.

11. pattisj says:

This is an original take on the prompt. I don’t suppose you know anyone who has tried this…

12. Physics and common sense! Oh boy!

13. Could you say that caught him in a limbo ?

14. pratibha says:

Nice. Another tale of foolish young men and silly dares.

15. And like my story, times to call the fellas with chain saws and get some beer; they’re going to need it.