Knock knock

“Are you completely sure this is it?” Colin asked.

Keith stood with one hand on his bicycle handlebars and one hand stroking his chin. He was sure he’d followed the map precisely.

“I mean, I expected it to look a bit, I dunno, different,” Colin mused.

“This is it,” Keith replied confidently. “It has to be it. Pass me the book.”

Colin hopped off his bike, reached inside his backpack and handed his friend a withered tome.

Turning to page 665, Keith recounted the words with gusto, “Instablam, Faccitaad, Twittstable. We beg of you, open now the gates of Hell!”

jennifer-pendergast4

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Over 120 people taking part.

Tagged , , , , , ,

58 thoughts on “Knock knock

1. Very quick and very good!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I know what you mean about “quick” too. I read it a few times before publishing and had to check I’d hit 100 words each time as it reads really fast.

And the next page is 666. Aren’t you the sly fox? Intriguing. Not going through that door.

3. Locomente says:

Nice and interesting!

4. And thus Colin and Keith’s bogus journey begins!

Looks like Dante’s playing the Palace this time around. Cool job, Binks!

6. Hannah says:

Love a good gates of hell story–and a mistaken gate to hell is even better!

7. Very creative. I love the idea of a guy on a bike just popping out to try and open the gates of hell. Very amusing.

8. Sounds to me like the door to “social” hell! Good one! Very clever! 🙂

9. Great take on the story and the names Instablam, Faccitaad, Twittstable are so fitting. I especially like Instablam.

10. K.Z. says:

Instablam, Faccitaad, Twittstable. lol the gates of hell indeed. imaginative and amusing 🙂

11. Page 665 leads everyone to Walmart. 😉 I truly enjoyed this. It was fun and a very complete short read.

I loved the names Keith & Colin, creates a sort of farcical edge to the devil worship. I would have loved to see what you had the devil looking like 😉

13. elmowrites says:

Interesting choice of magic words there. I like the characters you created

14. You have a lot woven into those quick 100 words.

15. JKBradley says:

Is that a one-way door?

Thanks!

A fun, lighthearted story with a teeny twist of darkness at the end. Good stuff.

17. Jan Brown says:

Loved this all the way through. Instablam! The devil has a sense of humor 🙂

18. hii I am new here…btw …gr8 story in just 100 words…

19. elappleby says:

This was fun, Mr Binks – but is Twittstable really one of the words to open the gates of Hell? I think they may have the wrong book 🙂

20. Liz Young says:

Very good – although I saw them as the gates of Heaven!
    Do you have a personal challenge to be the first every week?

Generally the photo goes up on a Wednesday just as I arrive at my desk and crack my knuckles. I like to get some writing down before I start work and before the office folk arrive. It’s a lovely way to kickstart the day.

21. Ha! Page 665 is so clever. And first again! By the time I got around to it this week there were already 48 spots gone!

It’s really not an ego thing (as I’m sure some people probably think). It’s just convenient timing for me, a nice gentle 10 minute writing exercise with my morning coffee.

Glad you liked it!

22. As a side note, I’ve been wanting to ask you how in your email notifications you don’t send the whole post but you have a ‘read more of this post’? Is there an easy way to do that because I really like it!

23. I hope this was supposed to be funny, because it really made me laugh. Well done.

24. I wonder what happened to worlddisgrace and bugger..?

25. Bravo. Love the 665. Clever piece.

26. BrainRants says:

Funny but foreboding. They obviously have no idea what they’re getting into.

27. Shandra says:

Oooo. Careful what you conjure Children. It just may come true. Nice story. and thanks for the blog follow last week. Appreciate it!

28. Dee says:

Interesting use of social media as a gateway to hell… some may say you are spot on!
    Well written and very enjoyable Mr Binks
    Dee

29. Sun says:

i love how the characters are looking for the door into hell but the entrance area doesn’t quite fit their expectations. your story . . . quite creative. 🙂

30. Mr. Binks, Good story. I believe they better turn around and go back the other way. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

31. Mr. Binks – Great job with the prompt! Cute story and I bet those guys will be sorry! I also love the way they think it doesn’t look like the opening to Hades Nan 🙂