Comfortable lives

Tis Friday once again, so time for Friday Fictioneers – hosted by the ever-present Rochelle.

This week, I have been mostly piggybacking the lovely Jessie Ansons and penned a response to her great story “Comfortable Footwear“.

It was soon our tenth anniversary, but if she kept banging on about it, I doubt very much that we’d see our eleventh.

She’d been leaving hints. Post-it notes with hearts, coupons for flowers, there were suddenly more candles around the place than before.

I‘d got the message.

She wanted to go to the club, which was cool. We had friends there.

As I got dressed, I’d given ‘Big Bouncing’ Barry a call.

I stood by the front door. Freshly ironed shirt and slacks, hair slicked back, and my best (worst) comfy slippers on my feet. “I’m ready,” I called.

PHOTO PROMPT Copyright - Douglas M. MacIlroy

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Comfortable lives

1. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,
    I like how you worked those slippers in there. Still wondering about the bouncer, though.

Aloha,

Doug

2. Dear Mr. Binks,

Is he going to the club in his fuzzy brown slippers? Not the most romantic guy, is he?

3. Jan Brown says:

It ‘s a prequel! Crafty old devil knew what would happen….

Great idea, working off of Jessie’s fun story. Good job!

4. Liz Young says:

He’s obviously angling for a divorce – ~I for one would dump him (and his slippers) like a shot!

5. Can’t quite work out his intentions. And who/what is Big Bouncing Barry?

I loved the link between the two pieces, clever 🙂

7. Mr. Binks, I went and read Jessie’s story and now understand what’s happening. Funny story and well written. 😀 —Susan

Wow, Mister B., you poured on the coal with this story.

I read Jessie’s after this one. Nice tandem effort and fun, fun, really fun. Good job!

9. sandraconner says:

Now, since I’ve read Jesse’s, I’m assuming he called Bouncing Barry to check out the dress code. Smart man! Moreover, reading between the lines, the fact that he knew the code but didn’t tell his wife — knowing she would be the one who was disallowed — gives me the impression that they have a very healthy, happy marriage. He knew he could get away with such a prank. Good job of piggy-backing — and fun.

10. So the bouncer was in on it all along … great twist 🙂

11. Dear Mr. Binks: This is a prequel and it was well done! Bouncer Barry is in on it. I bet they have a good marriage too. Maybe she just needed to be brought down to earth a bit. Very, very, good job! Nan 🙂

12. Horus says:

Yeah Once I read Jessie’s – I couldn’t but smile!

Clever piece Mr. Binks !

13. Popped over to read Jessie’s story before leaving a comment. Nice “bouncing” off each other. Alicia

When I worked at a large electronics store, I had a coworker that frequently worked in his slippers. I’m pretty sure it was against dress code, but I think he wore them nearly a week before he got “bounced” for it.

15. […] that a writer on the other side of the world in the UK called Mr Binks (his blog here) had written this 100 word piece in reply to mine, exploring the vices of their relationship […]