Malcolm, Mildred, Jason and Joy

Malcolm and Mildred had lived here for years. At first just a house, they’d eventually made it their home.

Mildred was pregnant, and if history (and the size of her tummy) were anything to go by, she was pregnant with septuplets. At this stage in proceedings Malcolm had taken on the role of hunter-gatherer. Every morning he’d be up early scratching around, looking for items that would sustain his ever-growing family. Lately things had been quiet. Times were tough.

Jason and Joy had lived here for years. At first it was their home, but the rat problem had become intolerable.

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Over 120 people taking part. And hey, if you still can’t get enough – why not check out my almost-FREE eBook, People Watching. US link here, UK link there.

old-wallpaper-mary-shipman

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

65 thoughts on “Malcolm, Mildred, Jason and Joy

1. Mr. Binks, Well written and humorous. Malcolm and Mildred might consider moving somewhere else as it sounds like Jason and Joy might be considering hiring an exterminator. 😦 Well done. 🙂 —Susan

2. ReadItDaddy says:

Awesome work, love the twist! (sort out the ‘buy’ typo tho 🙂

3. Great twist – love it.

4. They were first there!!! Poor Malcom and Mildred.

5. Great set-up; lovely twist.

6. writeondude says:

Well structured, very enjoyable.

Great twist; I was heading that way at ‘septuplets’ though. I know what you mean about the ‘twist’ being almost ‘de rigeur’. I feel that about my own stuff. 🙂

I hereby promise not to do one next week. BUT… if I do do one, then that can be the twist of this comment! A-ha!

8. I liked it! I like the two perspectives….well done! 🙂

9. Lovely. I, too, kind of figured out the “rat” problem before the end. Still – wasn’t quite sure UNTIL the end.

10. Vote rat! I like the double story. Beautifully told.

11. paulmclem says:

Clever stuff. Lol.

12. But it’s their home! 😉 I really enjoyed this read!

13. hafong says:

I understood the twist this time! I’m finding FF good for exercising my writing and my brain. Sometimes/often, I’m slow on the uptake. I think I’m getting a little quicker. 🙂

Lily

14. What a clever and humorous twist. I was so engaged that I didn’t even see it coming (despite the septuplets reference). Fewer things are more troubling than a rat infestation. Ugh!

15. I usually never sympathize with rats — but Malcolm and Mildred is a clear exception..

I always chuckle at your characters name, even without your witty fiction 😉

Seriously, I sit here every Wednesday morning trying to figure out a name I’ve not used and I’m sure that’s the longest part of the process!

17. Well told. Not often I find myself rooting for the rats 😉

18. JKBradley says:

I was thinking post-apocalyptic, but rats works too.

Well done, thanks for sharing!

19. hugmamma says:

Awesome! Definitely a mind-bender…at least for this often clueless senior.

20. hugmamma says:

Reblogged this on hugmamma's MIND, BODY and SOUL and commented:
    Had to share this Friday Fictioneers piece. A mind-bender for sure…at least for this often clueless senior…
    ………hugmamma.

21. Jan Brown says:

Rat-tastic! You are the king of writing in others’ (and other than human) voices!

22. I enjoyed this story, Mr Binks. Funny with a twist.

23. Haha when I read the names I knew it’d be another classic Binks comedy. Oh that pesky rat problem!

24. elappleby says:

You got me! and made me laugh
    thanks Mr Binks 🙂

25. I never tire of your creative, fun twists, Mr. Binks. Very nice.

Dear Mr. Binks, I vote rat too! Very interesting and entertaining story – you are really good at this prompt thing! Excellent! Thanks for amusing me! Nan 🙂

27. Liz Young says:

A clever twist to the story.

28. Bastet says:

Lovely … the point of view of the rat family, very nice indeed and a great take on the prompt. Georgia

29. subroto says:

Malcolm and Mildred might be in a bit of strife. It seems that the landlord will be evicting them soon.

30. Maree Gallop says:

Very creative and funny, well done!