Up, high

“So, now what?”

What do you mean, “now what?”

“I mean, how the hell am I going to get down?”

oooh. Yeah. Gotchya. Hmm. We could jump I suppose.

“Jump? Are you serious? It’s at least 50 feet high!”

It’s more like 8, really.

“Shut up. This is your fault. I never wanted to climb up here in the first place.”

Yes you did. That’s why you did.

“Shut up. Why do I ever listen to you?”

Because nobody else talks to you?

“Shut. Up!”

“Right. How are we going to get down?”

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Over 120 people taking part. And hey, if you still can’t get enough – why not check out my almost-FREE eBook, People WatchingUS link hereUK link there.

tree2bcrook

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Up, high

1. A super tale. Really enjoyed that, all 100 words of it. Thanks for sharing.

Oops, I went for the dialogue story as well. Enjoyed your story; why do I think the dialogue is between a male and a female??? 🙂

Ha, 3 stories down and 2 are dialogue only 🙂 Can see a few “up in a tree” stories this week.

I’m not telling you who the conversation was between. I know, of course, but I like that it can be interpreted different ways. Glad you liked it.

3. It’s so easy to get into trouble, especially in the company of a friend. 😀

4. Mr. Binks, Humorous and good story as usual. I enjoyed the dialogue. I could see two young boys about age 7 or 8 arguing. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

5. I saw an internal dialogue, perhaps between the narrator and his evil twin Skippy. 🙂 No matter who’s on either side of the discussion, I enjoyed it.

6. hafong says:

All in dialogue. Very good! I’m jealous though. 🙂

7. Even 8 ft seems a lot! I wonder what other similar conversations those two have had?

8. Great Story! Loved it! 🙂

9. I imagined him talking to himself! Loved this!

10. paulmclem says:

Lol. Up to your usual high standards, MrBinks. Good one.

I was thinking he was talking to himself as well. Great bit of dialogue. But where are the names, YOU ALWAY HAVE NAMES 😉

12. You should write scripts you have such a good ear for dialogue. Good story, Mr Binks.

Thanks Karen. I’ve written a few before (or tried) and am in the planning stage of something right now. It’s making time for it that is the hard part.

13. Oops climbing is a dangerous matter.. Better know how to get down..

14. Mike says:

This story brings back wonderful memories with my brothers when we were growing up on the farm and climbed up a tree to be the bee honey. … Let me tell you — no one needed to encourage us to jump! We couldn’t get to the pond fast enough.

15. Horus says:

Guess they were too busy to climb to notice how far they are up! 🙂
    Being with someone does tend to do that !

16. draliman says:

Eight feet can feel like fifty when you’re stuck up a tree! Great dialogue.

17. Why do I have a feeling the other voice is in their head??? Excellent story 🙂

18. Liz Young says:

Great dialogue – and I want to know if he/she/they got down!

19. subroto says:

I climbed up a water tower once and I think I had a similar conversation with the friend who instigated it all 🙂