The Bearded Giant

The Bearded One sat at his Mac, sleep still clinging desperately to the corners of his eyes. The thought of conjuring up a world beyond the ordinary, a world where the everyday folk were cutlery, was dancing around his mind.

The Bearded One hesitated. Surely everyone would see the Fork People reference. No, no, this wouldn’t do. He had to be original.

Through a gap in a drawer from the corner of the room, Jeremy and Simon nervously watched on. Their shiny, stainless steel bodies clanking together as they clambered atop a pile of teaspoons, eager for a better view.

chopsticks

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Sometimes over 120 people taking part.

And hey, if you still can’t get enough of  flash fiction– why not check out my  eBook, People WatchingUS link hereUK link there.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “The Bearded Giant

1. Lovely bit of meta. Weirdly, I never once made that connection when I read ‘Fork people’. Instead, I concluded sadly that I am one and wondered what I’d have to do to be welcomed into the chopstick fold.

Thanks very much! I’m about to go have a read of other pieces, I really did assume Fork People would stick out for a lot of people – I’ll soon see.

2. I couldn’t resist a #replyfiction to this piece Binks! Those characters Jeremy and Simon deserved another 100 words:

Now I’m afraid to open my utensil drawer for fear of the war between the forks and chopsticks there. Thanks.

It’s always the teaspoons that get it in the neck; have you noticed that? Great take on a sticky prompt.

5. Peter, Funny and cute story. I could just see their little eyes peeping out of the drawer. 😀 Poor teaspoons though, getting stepped all over. 😦 Well written. 🙂 —Susan

6. camgal says:

Haha I applaud your clever take on the prompt Mr. Binks 🙂 clambering cutlery..fork people..World War Utensil I suppose. Cheers.

7. Great story! You have an amazing imagination Mr Binks! 😉

8. The Bearded One being spied on by forks named Simon and Jeremy. What a hoot! Thanks for the morning smile.

9. I’m sure Simon and Jeremy would be amused to find they are “original”. Nice and bizarre, just like I like it. 🙂

10. I thought about people who were forks too! You did a wonderful job with the imagery.

You’re clever and funny, are you sure you’re not a woman? 😉

Clever? Thank you, so kind.
      Funny? Oh get out of here you. How lovely of you to say.
      Wom… wait, what?! GET OUT!

12. Funny story, but now I’m very afraid of my tablewear. Time to eat with my hands!

It’s ok, you can put the fork in your mouth. They like it.
      Knives on the other hand… Mother always warned you not to lick your knife for good reason!

13. ContactRida says:

ha! too too clever! and the dish ran away with the spoon:) love this take:)

Mr. Binks and Jessie – a great duo story – loved it! Nan 🙂

15. Liz Young says:

That was really fun! Thank you.