Crossroads

John chewed happily as he waited. Vine weed made a pleasant change to the usual diet of bluebottles, mosquitoes and other winged insects that made it into his grill.

He’d heard them argue, of course.

“I know where we’re going. I’ve been here before.”

“You told me you’d been here with your folks, when you were 4. I hardly think that counts.”

“We should go left.”

“We should go right!”

“It’s definitely left.”

“I’m telling you we have to go…”

Turns out, one needs to make a decision at a crossroads; especially one divided by several acres of barren land.

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Sometimes over 100 people taking part.

parked

Tagged , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Crossroads

I think they’ve a couple of decisions to make. One relates to the direction in which they should steer the truck. I like John, he sounds like a nice truck. 🙂

Perhaps John should make the decision. 😉

3. Peter, Well, that decision was made a wee bit late. 😀 Humorous and well written. 🙂 —Susan

4. This was so cute! What an appropriate name for a truck ❤

5. John sounds like a contented soul. It sounds like the couple needs to invest in a GPS though. 🙂

6. liz young says:

I’ve had conversations like that. A good, humerous story and you made it back to first slot!

7. I have not participated in Friday Fictioneers in a while – I’m happy I chose to this week. Being a very indecisive person, I felt right at home reading your interpretation of the prompt. Your take on it is unique! Love it. Good work 🙂

8. hugmamma says:

Very wise words…very well conveyed, I might add.

Howdy, Peter! I shouldn’t think an engine would run well on vine weed, but maybe this is one of those new-fangled alternative-fuel vehicles. 🙂

Creative take on the prompt.

Cheers!
    Marie Gail

10. A time to decide, definitely. Bravo.

11. Ha. yes sometimes going straight ahead is not the best choice… 🙂

Like we always say, “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

13. Ankush says:

Whatever be their decision, it was a good decision on my part to come to your story 🙂

Cheers,
    Ankush..

14. Amy Reese says:

Oh yes, the barren stretch of land can be humbling. I hope they made the right choice! Creative take. Nice one!

Dear Mr. Binks – Great story – go right! Nan 🙂

16. Some folks bicker like that all the time and think it’s normal. I think it’s funny.

17. AnnIsikArts says:

I thought your muncher was a watching animal or something and was retelling the tale os what it had witnessed – the results of indecision at crossroads – the taking of ‘the road less travelled’ – over the fields! 🙂