In Confidence

“…yet for all his faults, she just couldn’t stop. She told me, in confidence, that she’d never seen anything like it.” Mary paused to take a sip of the now-cold tea.

Liz wiggled back into her chair. She’d been edging forward for the past ten minutes and was close to tipping point. “Why?” she asked. “Was it really big? Did it look funny? Oh gosh, it wasn’t one of those micro ones you see on telly was it?”

Mary licked the last traces of Earl Grey from her lips. “Well you know me,” she said, “I’m not one to gossip.”

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Often with over 100 people taking part.

three_chairs

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “In Confidence

1. Dear Peter.

I don’t even want to know what they’re discussing. LOL You leave a lot to our wandering imaginations. Well done.

I know she’s not … but she needs to tell us more. 🙂

3. Adam Ickes says:

They’re talking about his house, right?

4. Hah ha! I really really want to know what they’re talking about. Really well done.
    Claire

5. Hahaha, this is amazing. “Those micro ones…” I bet they are not talking about what most of us think they are talking. 🙂

6. MrBinks says:

I’m going to take a screenshot of the word “Amazing” and hang it on my wall. Thanks 😉

7. Car! It’s his car! LOL. Women always want to know what a man drives! 🙂

8. Thanks for drawing me in and leaving so much to my imagination. You don’t even want to know where it went – or maybe you do!

9. Very cleverly constructed.
    AnElephant chortles.

10. Melanie says:

Refill her tea! I want to hear more. Not that I listen to gossip…

11. Haha oh I love those gossipers that tell so much but tell so little! Loved this take on the prompt 🙂

12. That’s a great last line. You just know that the next word is “but…” 🙂

Glad you liked that. I changed the last line at the last minute. Originally I’d left it with a “but….” but I thought this was stronger.

13. Delicious gossip. but I never listen to gossip. I’m so above that.

(that was great) Randy

14. Archon's Den says:

It’s his wallet they’re talking about. 😆

15. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

One of your best ever, sir. I’m still trying to find words that would fit the story. Superb job of hooking us all.

Aloha,

Doug

16. Ha! “Not one to gossip”! That’s a give-away. Fun writing.

17. liz young says:

An overheard snippet well captured.

18. hafong says:

We all love gossip, don’t we? But I don’t need to know – just this once. 🙂

Lily

19. Loved this! Could be talking about…well…just about anything! Hehe

20. Margaret says:

I bet it’s his dog! He’s got one of those tiny ones that fit in your pocket. With no hair. How you grabbed us with this story. Most entertaining.

Dear Peter, You can’t be serious – they did that? What was she thinking – now what will happen? Unbelievable great piece of gossip! Nan 🙂