Walkies

I used to love it when he took me for walks. The longer the better.
We’d often end up off the beaten track; looking for exciting, unexplored areas behind the city. A quiet escape from the usual bustle of everyday life.

It was tiring. She was always quite demanding but the older she got the more those demands irked. Scratching at the door to be walked, or for food, or to see her friends. The incontinence was bad enough, but one day she turned and bit me.

Last Sunday, I strolled behind as I took her for one last walk.

c2a9dawn_landau

– – – –

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers, and to all those that read and comment. I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve come up with this week.

Friday Fictioneers. Your favourite Friday flash fiction… every Wednesday.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

46 thoughts on “Walkies

1. Ha! Love it 🙂 Wit so dry I had to read it five times just to make sure.

A rather poignant tail…er…tale. I like the use of the two points of view. Nice one.

3. Dog’s eye view! Very nice.

4. The ‘one last walk’ sounds ominous. Nice story though.

5. Ouch.. love that incontinence coming from a dog.. wonder what the last walk means.

Hah! good one. I expect he’s planning to push her in front of the next train. That’s dogs for you.

7. I refuse to believe my dog would thing that way about me. She adores me. Right?

8. Nice switch of perspective.

9. Joe Owens says:

Had to re-read to catch the perspective change, but life always has at least two sides. We sometimes fail to understand and that leads often to conflict, violence or in the least a sense that we do not care. Very nice.

10. Michael B. Fishman says:

I liked the swapping of roles in your story.

Dear Peter, Good story and I had to read it 4 times. Well done and I love the dogs point of view! Nan 🙂

12. Nicely done and tricksy. 🙂

13. Liz Young says:

Two points of view in one story! Clever. Who was saying the thrid paragraph had me guessing.

14. There’s a turn around. Dog’s best friend, indeed.

15. Jan Brown says:

Turnabout is fair play for our furry friend! Loved reading the dog’s point of view, and loved the surprise ending that turns the story around 🙂

16. gahlearner says:

I understood it as seen, and told by the one we don’t see, behind the dog. If I got that right, it’s a painful story, but very well told. I loved the switch of pov.

17. Oh gosh written from the perspective of the photographer! Very creative. I love it!

I enjoyed the two voices here telling the same tale from opposing points of view.

19. Kim J says:

great work, love the perspective

20. Jorbi K says:

Really love the contrasted views, as most people seem to. I also like that you chose to put the person’s side in italics. It not only made the separation clear, it reinforced the idea that this viewpoint is, like italics, slanted and indecent. Great job.

21. Nice having the three points of view. At first I thought the dog was going to do in the human and suddenly got it.

22. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

Everyone has nailed down the fine points so I’ll just add a ‘well done’ to this column and drive on.

Aloha,

Doug

23. Just hopping around to read a few entries. I’m a newbie.
    Your tale is funny. Very nice …

24. Very neat take, Doug.

25. i b arora says: