Mushrooms

Gaston was a terrible gardener and equally appalling cook. The latter of these annoyed him the most. With a name like Gaston he felt sure that his lot in life was becoming a head chef in a French bistro or some swanky London hotel.

He had all the tools. Expensive japanese knives, copper-bottomed pots and pans, specialist slicers for bananas, garlic, carrots and eggs. He even started his own allotment to encourage creativity and healthy eating. Alas, it was to no avail. After 5 full seasons all he had managed to grow was impatient, a ginger beard and five mushrooms.

– – – –

Catch up with the rest of the Friday Fiction stories over at Rochelle’s blog. 1 photo. 100 words. Endless possibilities.

erin-leary

Tagged , , , , ,

49 thoughts on “Mushrooms

Perhaps it would be easier for Gaston to change his name and seek another career, one that he truly enjoys. πŸ˜‰ Fun story.

2. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

Great last line, for a number of reasons. Well done. (An order to a chef?)

Aloha,

Doug

3. Hehe poor Gaston! Cute story πŸ™‚

4. I don’t know. A guy named Gaston should be able to cook. So what if he kills a few people? That was what Typhoid Mary did!

5. I’m sitting here trying to figure out what other profession a man named Gaston could succeed in. I got nothing. We’re all doomed.

6. Love your last line. At least he hasn’t, at least so far, cooked the wrong sort of mushroom and killed his guests and himself.

Really snappy last line – loved it. I’m with the others, changing the name would be a better bet.

8. I like that: grow impatient and a ginger beard. πŸ™‚ Hopefully the mushrooms aren’t poison or that really would be the final nail in the coffin.

9. What a great story and that last line was to die for. πŸ™‚

10. I think the ginger beard will at least give an everlasting value.. Gaston there’s a hair in my soup!!!

11. Fun last line. He DOES need to change jobs. Japanese knives do not a chef make!

12. Loco mente says:

That was a simple story… Smoothly conveyed!

13. I love that one of the things he could grow was a ginger beard – great last line.
    Claire

14. hafong says:

I guess the name doesn’t make the man!

Lily

15. Jan Brown says:

Poor Gaston! I loved the conclusion of the story: all he had grown was impatient…. Well done, Peter!

16. Alas, I too am a frustrated gardener and part time chef. I liked Gaston.

17. The last line said it all – impatient, a ginger beard and 5 mushrooms. If however, it took him 5 seasons to become impatient I would say he was a highly patient man. Nice tale.

18. gahlearner says:

Poor Gaston. Good story, made me chuckle. πŸ™‚

19. erinleary says:

What a fun story – I loved the last line! Well done!

20. Reminds me of me! Great little tale.

21. At least he was able to grow mushrooms in that poop garden. πŸ˜€

22. Dave says:

Could be worse, Gaston could be poisoning his customers with toadstools that he thought were mushrooms…

23. With a name like that, he was always setup to fail

24. Margaret says:

Very entertaining. I feel sorry for Gaston – at least he keeps trying.

25. Just goes to show it’s not the tools it’s how you use them.

Peter,
    Especially nice use of those mushrooms in the photo.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

27. penshift says:

I saw Gaston and instantly thought of the character from Beauty and the beast. Gaston is good at everything, but cooking. That’s what Belle is for.

28. I guess you can’t be good at everything. Perhaps, a restaurant owner with hired chefs would work for him. I liked your interpretation of the story very much. : )

29. i b arora says:

we often try being what we are not destined to be

30. mscwhite says:

Fantastic last line!

31. AnnIsikArts says:

The best laid plans of mice and men, eh? I’ve just taken on an allotment. I was born impatient, the allotment has lots of ‘mushrooms’ already. All I have to do is not shave, though my beard will undoubtedly be white, rather than ginger. Pity.