No Horizon

There was no horizon. No land or sea or sky.
There was only Jack.

There were no sounds to be heard. No vibrations or noise.
Jack listened for his heartbeat as he took a tentative step forward. Several shapes blurred into existence as his eyes grew accustomed to white darkness.

“Hello?” he called, leaning gently forward for a reply.

A far-away flame was lit. A beacon of sorts. A sign.
Miles were walked; for minutes, or hours, or days.

“Hello?” he called, as the heat of the flame licked his face.
A shadow grew tall.

“Oh,” he whispered, “it’s you.”

keck

What an interesting photo! For me it, well, you can see above what it said to me. Desolation and wonder. Very intriguing. It’s nice to be writing again after a month break from the blog, and I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s Friday Fiction as the week rolls on.

47 thoughts on “No Horizon

1. micklively says:

Another different take on this picture!
    Good stuff.

Oooh…I like the way you left us wondering. Mysterious.

3. What a fantastic ending! Now I have to read on… what?? there isn’t any more?

4. I like it, it is full of an unexpected gentleness.

5. I particularly liked the first paragraph and “Miles were walked; for minutes, or hours, or days.” These gave it a real sense of desolation and timelessness. And I want to know who is “you?”

It feels so desolate, and so dreamlike. Well done.

7. Very mysterious. Most definitely a sequel in the making.

8. Is it only “them” in this desolate world of yours or is it so desolate that “you” doesn’t even exist and only the narrator exists? More questions than answers. I like that.
    Be well,
    Tracey

9. ansumani says:

Who is “you”….reads like a teaser to a mystery/horror novel 🙂

10. Jan Brown says:

Welcome back! Love the story, the buildup of tension and the mysterious conclusion. Excellent!

11. Oh I want to know who it is! Great mystery play.

An interesting take on the prompt, Peter. I like “white darkness”–quite the unique turn of phrase.

All my best,

13. I get the same feeling of loneliness as that one portrayed in Solaris … real or a result of imagination?

14. BrainRants says:

Some say hell is a frozen wasteland.

15. afairymind says:

I really enjoyed reading this. Great descriptions. I have to wonder who he meets at the end…?

Crazy, Binks. To be in those conditions would be stifling and scary. Well-played!

17. Intriguing little tale. What is it? Why is Jack so phlegmatic about it? More please.

18. Margaret says:

Yikes! Truly clever and truly bleak. The gentle tone is misleading, but then it all comes together and it’s perfect.

19. Mike says:

A great take on the prompt. I loved the mystery in that last line – “Oh,” he whispered, “it’s you.” Not sure if that’s calmness or resignation over what’s going to happen.

20. I wrote something similar but yours is more mysterious…

21. Quite a mysterious story full of tension and anticipation at the end. I enjoyed reading it.

22. amiewrites74 says:

Dreamy and surreal with a haunting ending. Love this one.

23. gahlearner says:

I want to know who ‘you’ is, too. Very mysterious. I like the dream-like, sad but persistant mood of the story. Great take on the prompt.

24. adamjasonp says:

I’m not sure I’d want to know who the figure is…but very intriguing.

25. Taygibay says: