Silenced

Ubinox was patient.
Ubinox was smart.
Ubinox was lithe, agile and keen.

High above the Grand Hall she waited; fingers and toes gripping the light fittings as she sank silently into nothingness.

Shadows stretched across the empty room as the wise old grandfather clock, standing as it always had by the ornate double doors, beat out a steady rhythm for them to dance.

Ubinox watched.
Ubinox waited.
Ubinox didn’t flinch, not even when the chimes signalled 8pm and the doors burst open with a surge of gay abandon and a chorus of cheers.

At 8.05 the cheers were silenced.

I have my doubts whether you’ll see what I see, but perhaps after reading and looking again you’ll find Ubinox lying in wait. This piece was written for Friday Fictioneers. 100 words per story, 100 stories per week.

hyde-hall-light

Tagged , , , , ,

30 thoughts on “Silenced

1. Ooh, scary biscuits!
    AnElephant is back behind the settee.

2. Vinay Leo R. says:

Ubinox is the chandelier watching over the ballroom and a prom perhaps? 🙂

3. It looks like a spider at that

Well it sounds positively eerie to me!

5. Lynda says:

I saw it, but didn’t name it. I like your story better. It flows.

6. I will always look for Ubinox now.. you have scared me.

7. I shall stay away from Grand Halls in the future.

8. Ubinox, watching and waiting – sometimes that’s what we all do. Loved your tale!

9. So glad I am not at that party…nicely done.

10. What is a Unibox? A bomb? A recording device? A smart robot that will take over the world? I bet you’re not going to tell me… At any rate, this was suspenseful writing!

11. Margaret says:

Wonderfully tense and mysterious. Love the name you’ve given it – should I consider Latin meanings here? I think so – it works.

12. It does look rather ominous up there. Nicely done.

13. gahlearner says:

I see her teeth. Right in the middle. Gulp. Beware of chandeliers, Ubinox is waiting. This is scary….

14. Jan Brown says:

Now that you mention it…reminiscent of Tom Cruise dropping from the ceiling in Mission Impossible. 😇

Hi, Peter! I had to do a bit of googling to discover who Ubinox is, but I have determined that you are most certainly correct concerning her whereabouts in this photo.

Cheers!