Not a whole grain.

Peter stared at the photo of Dijon whilst sitting at his table wearing nothing but a pair of shorts. It was humid already this morning, and sweat was beginning to form upon his brow. He breathed heavily and the photograph came alive. Memories of holidays and adventures. The blue skies, the wonderful new sights and the strange smells; they all seemed a million miles away from where he sat now.

Peter stared at the photo of Dijon whilst sitting at his table wearing nothing but a pair of shorts. Today was going to be the day he found a job.

A slightly self-indulgent piece this week as I try to find my feet again after being left jobless after 5 years. The chin, however, is up and I’ve been looking forward to Friday Fictioneers this week after a few weeks absence as I concentrated on CVs and letter writing! Now it’s time to get creative again (and no, my CV doesn’t count as creative – how dare you!)

dijon

27 thoughts on “Not a whole grain.

1. I liked this, particularly the way you managed to juggle so many different moods. Good luck with the job hunting.

I hope you find that perfect job. Nicely done.

A nicely reflective piece, I could feel the sense of determination. Sorry about the job. Don’t get too creative with that cv – as a former HR manager I can tell you we have a sixth sense for ‘gilded lilies’. πŸ™‚ Hope you find what you want soon.

4. Nice, reflective story. Sorry to hear about your job, I do hope you find a new job.

5. micklively says:

A pretty picture to inspire.
    Good piece.

6. That’s tough after five years – but great to hear about your determination and good luck. And a great story!

7. I like the repetition in this piece. Good luck. Keep that chin up!

8. paulmclem says:

The ending felt very personal. Good luck with the job hunt.

9. Vinay Leo R. says:

You could mention the creative blog on the CV though, especially looking for writing jobs. πŸ™‚

I guess a trip down memory lane could do that to you.

Leo @ I Rhyme Without Reason

10. I too hope you find the perfect job.

11. Great story, leaves you with a lovely hopeful feeling πŸ™‚

Good luck with the job hunt!

12. The memories have inspired him. Good luck with the job hunting.

13. Kalpana solsi says:

I wish you get a job where you are happy. The hot and humid weather is well captured in your post.

14. gahlearner says:

I absolutely love how the mood changes from sweaty melancholy, sitting mostly undressed, staring at photographs to firm determination that today is the day. And I wish you much success with finding a new job.

15. Bastet says:

Nice write and sounded like you lived somewhere near my house in Italy with your description of the weather … lovely air of reminiscence … and like the positive feeling the character puts forth … and here’s to you find that perfect job!

16. SarCou says:

Nice piece – good luck with the job hunting!

17. Love his attitude, and yours. Best of luck.

18. Looking at old photos can bring many good and bad thoughts to mind. Your story is a very introspective write. It can bring peace during times of turmoil. Enjoyed your perspective !!!
    Hope your job search is successful.
    Isadora

19. Dale says:

The photo may just give him the kick in the pants he needs to find a job…that way, he’ll be able to visit the area again.
    Good luck on the job search! (We’re in the same boat!)

20. Good luck with the job search. It’s been a rough road for many since 2008. Your story was a lovely reminder of the cycles of life.

Dear Peter,
    Get creative on that CV if you must. I won’t judge. πŸ˜‰

Good work this week. I enjoyed the reflection and the echo at the end.

Best wishes in your job search. I do not envy you. The last time I had to go on one of those, I gave up and started my own company.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

22. Margaret says:

Poor Peter. He’s not in a good place. I like how you set up the mood – it’s very reflective, and leaves room for hope that Peter will be ok.