Big Shop

Sunglasses, vest-top, short shorts, liberally applied factor 50 and flip-flops. Aside from grabbing the canvas bags and car keys, Sandra was ready. The supermarket wasn’t far, but today was Wednesday – “Big Shop” day, and she was buggered if she was going to carry it up the hill.

Two left turns, a roundabout and one set of traffic lights and apparently Sandra had crossed time zones. Sunglasses were removed and wipers were set to stun. Two climate changes later, she arrived.

“The great British summer,” she mocked as she reached for the umbrella tucked inside the emergency wellington boots behind her seat.

Oh my word, it’s been a while but here we go with another slice of Friday Fictioneers. I’ve seen this prompt before – choosing then to let my imagination go on a strange journey for 40 days and 40 nights.

Be sure to check out the other entries for this week’s prompt by CLICKING THIS LINK!

photo-88

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Big Shop

We have an expression here in the Midwest USA, “If you don’t like the weather here, wait a minute.” It sounds like aren’t so many worlds apart, are we?” Nicely done and nice to see you here.

Ah yes! That’s the way it goes. I loved ‘wipers set to stun’. When we lived in the Pennines that was the default setting for all new cars. Welcome back.

3. gahlearner says:

From the way she has the umbrella and wellies in her car, I conclude that she is used to that weather. Fun story.

4. michael1148humphris says:

Wipers set to stun, like it. Mike

5. Graham Lawrence says:

I loved wipers set to stun too. Very catchy and so true about ‘our’ weather 🙂

6. It seems like a very long time since I’ve seen you at FF. Welcome back? or have I crossed into another time zone? I think this is one of my favorite stories so far this week. Fast paced and inventive. Kudos.

Great seeing ya, Binks! I read about your adventures these past few months in Sandra’s page. Hope everything settled in all right.

Guys just walk in, buy what they needed to find and leave. When women shop, they are … on … a … MISSION! And as in the Kansas City area, all four seasons in four hours. Welcome to Latitude No Make Sense.

Five out of five wipers (love that line!).

8. So very true of the British weather – today I went to Tesco in the sun and returned ten minutes later in a downpour! 🙂

9. rgayer55 says:

I loved the wipers line. As Kent mentioned, we sometimes see four seasons in a single day in our neck of the woods. Personally, I like that. I’ve spent a couple of weeks in southern California where the weather never changes. It’s pleasant, but boring.

10. Enjoyable read. I echo the comments above.

11. ceayr says:

Great fun, sir, but no hail or snow?
    You are obviously not in Scotland.

12. Wow!
    All she had to do was change zones!
    Intriguing. Wish we could do so!

13. Love this – especially #wipers set to stun’ !

14. Margaret says:

A fun story. She must be used to that changeable weather by the sound of it. I’d hate it, I think.

15. The emergency wellington boots…every sensible person has one pair. 🙂 Welcome back, you arrived in style.

16. Welcome back, Peter. I’d say it’s a funny story, but I guess it’s not funny these days in the UK. It’s monsoon here so we mainly have some dry days then rain and more rain. Good writing as always. 😀 — Suzanne