Enough

“…that’s when they said I should leave.” Mike searched the bottom of his glass.
“Hit me again, will ya Sammy?” he pushed his bone-dry shot glass towards the man behind the bar.

Sam popped the top from the bottle and poured another shot.

“Cheers,” he said, scooping up the drink. “You just can’t trust them. None of them. Not a single one.”

Sammy raised an eyebrow.

“Not you Sammy. You’re alright. Hit me again.”

Sam breathed deeply and poured another shot.

Mike nodded in vague appreciation.

“It’s the others.

Hit me.”

Sammy considered it.
He considered it long and hard.

icon-grill-ted-strutz

This story, my weekly dip into trying to write something creative, is part of Friday Fictioneers hosted by Rochelle. If you’ve taken the time to read this far then I thank you but please take a few more minutes to go read some of the other wonderful entries.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Enough

1. rosemawrites says:

oh. the frustration and anger and pain is vivid in the scene even without using ’emotional’ words. Great. 🙂

2. neilmacdon says:

I agree with rosema. This works because it’s understated. The repetitions mark the passage of time and Sammy’s growing frustration better than any “power” words

Subtle and to the point.

4. gahlearner says:

Oh yes, it’s always the others, never his own fault. Poor Sammy, he has the patience of a saint. Good story.

5. Alice Audrey says:

That many hits that fast will make him punch drunk. 😉

Great story. Come see mine here.

6. michael1148humphris says:

Nicely crafted.

7. Margaret says:

I’d love to know just how long Sammy can restrain himself. Well told – Mike’s voice and Sam’s forbearance are most entertaining.

8. There probably are a few customers bartenders would like to smack or tell off, but they must get used to it after a while. You have to have patience in that job. Good writing, Peter. 🙂 — Suzanne