June

Ever since she’d been little she’d harboured romantic notions of curling up by the fire with a steaming hot chocolate and a good book, every now and then turning to read aloud the bits that made her smile to the one she loved.

But it had been a long winter. There was no fire. No chocolate (hot or otherwise). The books had been read, sold & turned into sustenance.

Her wrinkled fingers shakily pulled the itchy blanket close to her chin. The ball of fur on her lap twitched an ear.

She closed her eyes as the bitterness kissed her lips.

Back once again after another hiatus. Here’s a little 100-worder for Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle. Please feel free to comment, critique, like or subscribe for more!

Oh, and don’t forget to check out the other stories based on this picture.

roger-bultot-flower

Tagged , , , , , , ,

40 thoughts on “June

1. Iain Kelly says:

Good to have you back. A bitter, cold tale, very well written.

2. Very well written, Mr Binks

3. neilmacdon says:

I loved the hanging clue of the bitterness. A hint of almonds perhaps?

Good to see you back. A rather wistful tale, leaving me questioning what has caused the bitterness. Nicely done.

5. Depression is a cruel, heartless and endlessly patient affliction. Well depicted.

So very nicely done, and so good to see you back.

7. Very poignant! Sad for her!

Hey, Binks! Great to see you again, buddy. You have been MISSED.

Story’s terrific. A truly well-constructed narrative and seriously sad.

Nice work, sir! Don’t forget the hot chocolate. 😉

9. jellico84 says:

Oh, that was sad. Too true for too many, I fear. Great write, though! 🙂

10. James says:

Old age, poverty, loneliness. A recipe for suicide. Funny how depressing this photo prompt turned out to be.

11. Good scene..clear pic of despair. Hope her hard time s don’t last.

12. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover says:

You broke my heart with “the bitterness kissed her lips.” Well done.

13. Oh.. the long time passed, a hard life. And all she ever had is sustenance for her and her cat… the lowkey sadness works very well.

14. Such an evocative story, particularly that excellent last line

15. Dale says:

Such a sad and lonely story. Well done…

16. Welcome Back! This story left me cold and sad. So . . . . very well done, Mr. Binks.

17. Lovely story! And much sadder and deeper than your usual ridiculous pieces. Welcome back. I’ve been away on hiatus too (baby number 2) and have been here for just the last few weeks. Glad to see your name again!

18. Jade M. Wong says:

This was melancholy but quite lovely. You painted the quite scene really well, and I too am left wondering what caused the bitterness.

19. You created a real sense of hopelessness. Excellent.

My story is called Stardust

20. writelindy says:

Bitterness – a word that says it all. Well done.

21. This made me frown but also wonder about her….that’s a good story.

22. handmadejewelryhaven says:

Although a work of fiction, it sadly is a way of life in our wonderful country.
    Thank you for making me count my blessings on being in a position to do all the service work that my son and I participate in,
    This is my first visit here as I found you on FF. Hope you can stop by mine also.

– Lisa

23. Welcome back, Peter. Poor old woman. This is made sadder by the fact it happens to so many. Good writing. —- Suzanne