No Smoking

There had been no smoking in Workshop for about 30 years now. No alcohol, no music, no dancing, no sexual activity of any kind and bizarrely no Swiss cheese fondue. Those that would dare to flounce the laws tended to go a bit missing shortly thereafter.

To suggest that people had objected to these strange rules would be to put it lightly. To say that this was, without a doubt, the reason that 100% of the village had moved on to pastures new would be very astute.

Still, Lord Jonah Lincoln preferred it that way.
He never did like people.

claire-fuller-2

Submitted forΒ Friday FictioneersΒ photo prompt. See if you can write a piece of flash fiction in 100 words.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

52 thoughts on “No Smoking

1. A jolly tale of Puritan values. Nice.

2. You have made me crave sticky cheese fondue! Fabulous.

3. That’s one way to get rid of everyone. But no fondue. Really, that’s rather Draconian! πŸ™‚

4. I could live with all, save that harsh anti-cheese sentiments…

5. yarnspinnerr says:

This is an eXcellent take on this prompt. πŸ™‚

An original take on the prompt, the inclusion of swiss cheese was a master stroke.

What, no cheese fondue, no wonder they left, lol πŸ™‚

8. An original and entertaining take on this prompt.

9. No sex is one thing but no cheese? Yeah I would leave too!

It’s wrong I know, but reading your comment certain words pop out. I now can’t shake the words “Sex cheese”.

I apologise.

10. kz says:

no…. i love cheese! great original take on the photo, and Lord Jonah Lincoln is an interesting (though not very likeable) character πŸ™‚

You are so clever – Thanks for the story! Nan

12. Dear Mr. Binks,

At least you didn’t say ‘no coffee’. That would’ve been the absolute deal breaker. Good story.

13. Only “a bit” missing? Cute story! And I’m hungry now πŸ™‚

The mention of “no Swiss cheese fondue” reminds me of a flash fiction story from Jim Crace. Fondue in the workplace does have the habit of going terribly wrong.

15. Monsieur Binks,
    it sounds like Lord Lincoln found the perfect formula for driving people away. I’d think there would be easier ways to be by yourself, but I guess everyone needs a hobby. πŸ™‚
    -David

16. liz young says:

Was he born a lord or did he simply assume it? One could almost feel sorry for the old grouch.

17. Reminds me of Monty Python, when the guy keeps interrupting the sketches and saying “Stop this! You’re being SILLY!”
    I’m not writing this week, but I’d love it if you’d drop by my blog for a second anyway, I posted a big announcement today.

18. Linda Vernon says:

Ha ha! No swiss fondue. Well that’s enough to make anyone move away! Fun story.

19. I enjoyed your story. It was very original. I love reading the work of other wirters.

20. camgal says:

Nicely done, loved the infused humour πŸ™‚

21. atrm61 says:

Good Lord!He deserved to be alone with his strange rules-no cheese-ha!A fun read MB:-)

22. Bastet says:

Good story…an interesting association with No Smoking!

23. Lovely story. Just how many rules do we need?

24. Smart people. I hope they’re in a happier place now, one where cheese fondue is provided abundantly.

25. I’m afraid the cheese-related ban would have been one step too far for me! Loved this tale πŸ™‚