Handle With Care

“This is genius,” thought Arthur. “Nobody is ever going to find me in here. I am quite literally the best at hiding.”

Minutes passed.

Arthur reached into his pocket and pulled out a packet of chewing grass.

Arthur chewed.

Hours passed.

“Ppfftt,” he said out loud.

Another hour passed.

“The thing about hiding,” he mused, “is that you’ve got to think outside the box.” Arthur laughed out loud before quickly covering his mouth with a hoof.

Downstairs, Trevor, Martin and Brian heard the bleating laughter from the storage cupboard. They exchanged glances, smiled, and returned to their game of poker.

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Sometimes over 120 people taking part.

Apologies for not commenting as much last week. I ran out of time thanks to work, family, work, cooking and usual daily stuff amped up to 11. I do hope to read a lot more of your stories this week.

And hey, if you still can’t get enough of silly flash fiction– why not check out my  eBook, People WatchingUS link hereUK link there.

copyright-adam-ickes

Tagged , , , , , , ,

50 thoughts on “Handle With Care

1. karin says:

Genius, thank you

Looks like Arthur may be hiding for a long time. 😉 Cute…thinking outside the box. Ouch.

3. The worst thing about hiding is when no one is looking. I love the image of sheep playing poker, something about the way they must hold the cards. Great story. 🙂

You’ve surpassed yourself. I laughed out loud. The mental image of covering his mouth with a hoof…. 🙂

Laughing out loud? Hurrah! Thanks for reading, Sandra. You should try my book – maybe I could raise a few more chuckles from you 😉

5. I loved the image this conjured up. Very well written.

6. You have written it very well! 🙂

7. Hannah says:

Poor Arthur–wonder if his friends know the RAMifications of their little joke.

Ouch that was bad. Couldn’t help it.

8. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

Where’s Elvis? I love the velvet canvas you used for this masterpiece.

Aloha,

Doug

9. Poor Arthur – blessedly innocent! I hope the others play along eventually 🙂

10. This is lovely. I, too, thought about a goat hiding, but didn’t know how to pull it off. You did it in spectacular fashion.

11. Hah, I can oddly relate to Arthur! I just love this! Well done!

12. Charli Mills says:

That’s ridiculous! Love it–especially the packet of chewing grass and trying to hide his laughter!

13. Archon's Den says:

If nobody’s seeking, are you really hiding?? You must have known my brother. 😆

14. Oh, poor Arthur. But it is a funny story, Mr Binks.

I can’t believe you’re laughing at his misfortune. This was supposed to be a tragedy not a comedy 😉

15. Ellespeth says:

Very silly 🙂 Much enjoyed!
    Ellespeth

Silly. Ridiculous. There’s a theme here… 🙂
      I do hope you’ll stick around and find other stories here that you find just as silly.

16. Liz Young says:

That was funny! Well written.

17. Peter, That was great. 😀 Poor Arthur. He’s going to have to come out for food fairly soon. He’s either very young or not the sharpest pencil in the box. Funny and well written. 🙂 —Susan

Wow Mr. Binks, This is so good! I love the hide and seek part. Well done! Nan 🙂

19. Haha, they can finally enjoy their game of poker in peace. Brilliant names again Binks… makes everything sound so proper.

20. really thinking out of the box…….and a nice story penned.

21. well, that kept the goat busy for a few hands…

22. hugmamma says:

I love clever animals…especially ones that talk.

23. AnnIsikArts says:

I can’t help thinking about hooves v hands. It’s only because humans have thumbs that we’re the top of the pile and what do we do with them? Play silly card games. I can always find a moral! 🙂

24. MythRider says:

Cute. He thinks he’s being cleaver when in fact he is being left out.

25. Pat says:

I’m sitting here — cracking up with laughter and glee — sheer delight at these words. Awesome idea and response to the FF prompt!