Arthur

Arthur Junior (son of Arthur Senior) had taken to sitting at his father’s slightly wonky writing desk every second Wednesday of the month. His father, whom like any self-respecting gentleman, was very particular about his particulars, never missed a hunt.

The trick to never getting into trouble, Arthur Junior had observed, was to never get caught.

His theory was challenged last Wednesday afternoon, however, when upon leafing through the Dictionary he accidentally tore the page he had been studying. Though at first he was struck by fear, he finally conceded his father would never notice the tear in his vagina.

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Sometimes over 100 people taking part.

antique-desk

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

40 thoughts on “Arthur

There’s obviously something different about Arthur Junior.

This made me think his father was Arthur Conan Doyle, there were some subtle Sherlock Holmes hints, but maybe it was just the way I read it. I actually snorted when I read your last line, so funny.. p.s. brilliantly written as well 😉

Well it was definitely where the name Arthur came from for this piece, so maybe that flowed organically? Who knows; it’s a mystery!

Thanks for reading (and laughing, and commenting).

3. I would assume that Jr knows more about Sr, than Sr knows about Jr… 🙂

What??? 😦 I’ve no idea what the punchline means, but the style was riveting to say the least.

Well, I’m glad you liked the style (if not the kicker). I won’t reveal what I was trying to say, perhaps another read would shed light? Or not.

Before posting, I read it out loud in my little office (as I often do) and 2 people got it, 1 person didn’t. At all. 🙂

5. Oh, my! Hope Senior never takes a close look at the V section.

6. Ha, the crimes of the young ones. I suspect we’ve all been there. I had a lightbulb moment and then had to laugh out loud. 😀

7. I think I’m with Sandra in that I seem to be missing something. He tore that entry in the dictionary?

8. well, anything that has to do with vaginas has to be good, certainly as a monologue, but a tear in one is not.
    I would say your last line might have been delivered as you posted part-um…
    Randy

9. Lynda says:

DEDUCTIVE REASONING:

If Arthur Junior is learning about the birds and the bees via the dictionary, then there is nil possibility of Arther Sr. ever noticing that tear.

😉

10. Sarah says:

I confess I also don’t get it, but I enjoyed reading it, especially the “very particular about his particulars” part. 🙂

11. Perhaps he’ll luck out, V being at the end of the dictionary. 😉

12. misskzebra says:

I did laugh out loud. This reminded me of some giggly french classes we spent looking up words that were definitely not required for our assignment.

13. El Guapo says:

Fun! Took me a moment to get the punchline.

14. Peter, If I’m right, this was an illustrated dictionary. I had to read your story a couple of times. Clever way of bringing in the hunting picture. Kids find many ways to learn facts. There probably couldn’t have been many other ways in those days unless your dad was a doctor with medical books on hand. Well written. —:) Susan

Well, there’s an aptly place tear. Dictionaries to provide a plethora of puns.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

16. Horus says:

Brilliant punchline – it also took sometime for me to get it.. but when I did, I couldn’t stop smiling. Guess a lot of us has been there did that – while dad’s were out hunting ! 😀

17. Clever piece;clever lad – I assume he has worked through to V from A.

18. Pat says:

*snorting* and er … *spitting at the screen* (yeah, gross, I know) but this was brilliant! As so many have said – what a clinching last line.

Definitely caught me off guard, but thoroughly enjoyed it.Very clever!

To put it glibly, seems like Arthur Senior should have been fitted for glasses. Good writing, Binks!

Dear Mr. Binks, Love the story and I remember the days when if you wanted to know something, you had to look it up in a dictionary. Funny ending – really funny! Nan 🙂

21. draliman says:

I like the “100 years ago” style you’ve written this in. “particular about his particulars” indeed 🙂