Tick Tock Tick

Tick – – Tick – – Tick, went the clock.

Jeremy put down his pencil and took a breath.

Tick – – Tick – – Tick

Irritation boiled and bubbled inside him.

Tick –   – Tick –   – Tick

He looked around. Twenty six boys scribbled furiously, two stared at the ceiling and one appeared to have eaten the contents of his pencil-case.

Tick – Tick – Tick

He tried, once more, to answer question two. The one about the shortest route between A and B when B was actually F.

Tick! – Tick! – Tick!

His right eye twitched.

Tick! Tick! Tick!

“Where are the ‘Tocks!?’” he screamed, as his pencil splintered into two.

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers. Get yourself there and join in with the weekly 100 word challenge!

cropped-bugs

Tagged , , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Tick Tock Tick

You’ve captured the classroom beautifully. I nearly fell off my chair at the image of the half-eaten pencil case contents. Jeremy seems a bit stressed. 😉 Well done.

2. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

The tocks are in another classroom, driving some other poor soul crazy. You put together an excellent story for the prompt. Even as I type, I’m imagining that the photo depicts the contents of the pencil-case. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

3. Lovely – I can really read (and hear) the tension build!

4. Horus says:

tocks eaten by ticks ! nice one 😀

5. Ah.. the ticks.. that bloody sucks.. what perfect image of tension.

Now that’s what I call an out of the box submission! Well done sir. 🙂

7. He, I was wondering the same thing!

8. Thanks for a good laugh. This picture does bring “ticks” to mind.

Dear Peter,
    I have always been blessed with a gift for test taking–so much that I actually commiserated with Hermione in the first Harry Potter book when she was disappointed over finals being canceled. My sister, on the other hand, is at least as smart as myself and suffers from severe test anxiety. Standardize testing was her worst nightmare in grade school, and her college entrance exams woefully underrated her abilities. In this story, you show the world from her point of view, I believe, and you’ve done it in such a way that I can truly empathize. Thank you.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

10. I guessh e didn’t get a tock because he was too ticked off… Randy

11. wildbilbo says:

Nothing is more enraging than a mild annoyance that you can do nothing about.
    Nice work

12. Very good! It made me laugh (hope it was suppose to). 😀

13. Oh, I get it… the tension lead up to the laugh!

14. rogershipp says:

Enjoyed…. Just like the annoying silence of a still classroom!

15. Margaret says:

Very clever. Exams, classrooms, pencil cases, and the clock ticking away the precious minutes – ah memories!

16. Lovely. And I like the way you changed the intensity of the ticks.

17. liz young says:

I imagine the ticks were cockroaches in the walls?

18. Nicely told. I could imagine to monotony of the class room and the slow building of rage.

If that test had been any harder, they’d have eaten the strawberries off the wallpaper, too.
    You captured this well, Mister B.