Soap and water

“Let the plug out, Michael,” mum would say.

My brother would groan. He enjoyed the splashing; drenching mum as she knelt by the side of the tub, flannel in hand and a tired look upon her brow.

“Michael, I won’t ask you again,” she would say next. It would always be me. I was the older of the two so I constantly got the tap end. It wasn’t so bad though – mum couldn’t reach with me with the soap.

The third and final call would be the same every time. “Michael,” she’d snap, “don’t make me call your father.”

This piece was written for Friday Fictioneers. A group of writers aiming to fulfil the promise of writing 100 words against a weekly prompt. You can find the prompt over at Rochelle’s blog. Go on, take a look.

c-hase

20 thoughts on “Soap and water

1. Such a beautiful take on the prompt. Nicely done.

2. A lovely little snippet of memory. No one ever wants the tap end – all baths should have the taps in the middle. (A very minor point – the word ‘always’ jumped out at me – I think you’ve got quite a lot of them in there.)

I remember being the mother in this story when I gave my two sons a bath. Well done story. I could picture it and even smell the soap.

4. Danny James says:

I remember scenes like that. Thanks for the memories.

DJ

5. ansumani says:

The tired mother…disobedient children…threat to call the father….I see a woman whose life was not under her control…Not sure if you want to convey that message but thats what I see very clearly.

Now I was the youngest yet I still always had the tap end… Great take on the prompt. Off the wall… 🙂

7. phylor says:

Perfect! And yes, I heard a lot of “wait til your father gets home!!!!” Or my mother would call me by my full name — look out.
    Love your take on the prompt!

8. Wonderful memories float up with story. Me and my two sisters in one tub – me in the middle. Always wonder how on earth we came out clean. Well done.

9. Ah, great story. Brought back my own bubble bath memories! 😉

10. Yes, this made me think of my oldest two when they were younger. They are in their 30’s now!

11. gahlearner says:

I had to laugh at the escape from the soap, but that threat with the father… brings back not so great memories. I wonder if younger mothers still do this? I hope not…Great take on the prompt.

12. Cute recalling of a typical family style experience.
    Now pull the plug. Ok?
    Randy

13. Jan Brown says:

“Don’t make me call your father!” A universal refrain heard somewhere round the world at any given time of the day/night.

Nice story, a little slice of life.

14. Margaret says:

A touching picture of a familiar domestic moment, but the mother’s fatigue lingers in the mind as a discordant note. The narrator is oblivious to the significance of it, but it comes through your story. Nice touch.

15. Mr. Binks, this is one of my favorites of yours. I can remember these tub times so well, and you’ve really captured it so beautifully here– wonderful story telling!

16. amiewrites74 says:

Reminds me of my house back when my two were young enough to share a bath. My older always got the tap end too. Loved it.