The storm

Henry looked nervously at the tall oak tree in the garden, the storm swirling around its branches pulling it this way and that. He wished he could bring it in, offer up a cup of tea and shelter from the savage weather.

Henry closed the curtains, climbed into bed and listened as the rain lashed at the windows and wind howled through cracks in the doors, begging to be let in.

When he awoke, somewhat cold, the noise of the storm had vanished; instead the sound of the ocean calmly washed over him, and sea salt smells filled his nostrils.

c2a9dawn_q-_landau

Submitted forย Friday Fictioneersย photo prompt. See if you can write a piece of flash fiction in 100 words.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “The storm

1. Dear Mr. Binks.

An apt description of a storm and the relief one feels when it has passed. I’m on my second cup of coffee here. Cheers.

2. I love that feeling of the storm, going to sleep while the rain beats down. Only thing is I have a metal roof and it is really hard to sleep through that.

3. This is why I try not to anthropomorphize trees and cars and stuff. I feel really bad when they’re left out in the cold and rain. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Joe Owens says:

I agree about the rain on the metal roof. We have to have some really hard rain to hear it on my home, but it is soothing. What a surprise to wake up with the sea all around you.

There was a kind of Wizard of Oz feel about this. Very enjoyable.

6. Perfectly captures that relief at the end of a storm and the freshly-washed smell.

7. kz says:

this is so wizard of oz! i love it. i’m imagining strange ocean creatures and a summer paradise. enjoyed this ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Poetically written. I could almost feel the calm after the storm.

9. liz young says:

We’re expecting a storm here in Tenerife tonight, and some people might well find their homes surrounded by sea!

10. mike olley says:

So apt, considering the weather a lot of people around the world have experienced recently. Nicely written.

11. Linda Vernon says:

I like your approach. A storm, you go to bed and viola! Beach front property. And so well written!

12. I hope he looks out before he steps out.

I think I’d probably stare out of the window for an hour wondering what the heck happened. Then make a coffee. THEN consider stepping out. For another hour.

13. Jan Brown says:

Henry, we are not in Kansas anymore….

Interesting story, following a week of horrendous storms. At least Henry didn’t get sucked into the polar vortex!

As much as I don’t envy the USA’s weather at the moment I do love the name “Polar Vortex”. Sounds a bit… intergalactic!

14. I love the kind thoughts for the poor tree outside. Looks like it didn’t weather the storm this time. Nice one.

15. Lynda says:

Nicely told, and the picture illustrates it perfectly. We have an old oak right outside our new (to us) house. I’m pretty certain I shall remember your story when I see it in the next storm!

16. sandraconner says:

As I browsed through the comments, I saw definite proof that each reader really does see a story from his own perspective. Some saw the ending as a calm and happy resolution to the storm. Others saw it as a total transition of the man into a completely different realm. I’m one of the latter. The idea that he began the night in his own home, looking at the oak tree in his own backyard, but ends that same night on the shore of some distant ocean is exciting indeed.

17. pattisj says:

Now that’s what I’d like to wake up to!

18. The storms and calms of life.

19. The silence after a storm is so sweet – and yes, the land air does smell and taste different, afterwards. A lovely piece.

20. Hi, I’m new and love your story – we have camped through storms before an I know how relieved you are when it’s passed. Brings back good memories. Thanks!

21. I can clearly read that he’s in for a mighty shock on what’s left of his house