When Harry Went Silly

When Harry said he was going to build a fence to keep the fog out, people thought he was mad.

In the winter of 1993 they were proved right.
Harry was certified insane. His friends left. His family forgot him.

No fog has been seen since.

Today, in a field in Leicester, a piece of land (no bigger than our back gardens together) is fenced off into a slightly wonky rectangle. Inside this quirky quadrant stands a Silver Birch, 7 sheep (sometimes 6 – Gary often goes walkabout) and a small patch of fog roaming – searching for an exit.

copyright-erin-leary-2

If you enjoyed this, why not read 100 other stories from writers around the world all contributing toFriday Fictioneers. If you can’t get enough of them, why not check out another 52 one hundred word stories in my collection, People Watching.

Peope Watching Cover

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

57 thoughts on “When Harry Went Silly

1. elappleby says:

That’s fantastic – surreal, bizarre and very very funny 🙂
    (I liked Gary the wandering sheep almost as much as I liked the fog enclosure)

2. This is a creative approach to the prompt.

Loved it. Especially the little aside about Gary, perfect name for a sheep. Well done, very enjoyable.

4. Horus says:

One of the best stories I read this week – I was grinning ear to ear.. great work Mr.Binks !

5. I truly enjoyed this story. Glad to have found it!

You’re right. Harry DID go silly. Enjoyable.

7. K.Z. says:

lol like the part about gary. very imaginative tale. 🙂
    and congratulations on your book.

8. Love this. Turns our perceptions upside-down..

9. You really do venture into unknown territory. Such a shame the Goon Show has finished, you’d be perfect for the writing team. Fog chickens at the ready.

Oh, loved it by the way. Especially Gary. Half day?!

10. Brilliant and very catchy piece of writing. I loved reading this story.

11. Pawan Hegde says:

Nice story. Very silly and surreal. I loved the part about Gary. 🙂

I loved the quirkiness in this 😉

13. You leave me shaking my head with your brilliance. Love your writing!

14. swathishenoy says:

Thats quite a different take on the prompt. Very well written 🙂

Swathi Shenoy

15. Quirky and enjoyable, Mr. B.

16. atrm61 says:

How very creative!

17. Fabulous take.. I love the imagery and surreal atmosphere of this.. especially the little details of the sheep going walkabout.. good stuff

18. THIS is marvelous! Glad I stopped by to read.

19. This is charming, but shouldn’t the fog be searching for a way in? As his fence certainly seemed to work to keep the fog out…

In my head (which also has plenty of room for fog to roam around), I saw Harry’s silliness such that he failed in his quest to keep it out.

20. Lucy says:

Well, Harry is certainly vindicated. Cute story. Well told. Lucy

Fun stuff, Mr. Binks! I have to admit that title is what drew me in this week. Your story actually delivered more than the title promised. I did find “slightly wonky triangle” and “quirky quadrant” a tad redundant but nothing that some careful editing on your part later can’t fix.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

I had 5 words to use up 😉 I have to hit the 100 mark each week or I feel I’ve failed. I think (whilst I like quirky quadrant) those phrases would have been chopped had the 100 words not been met.

Glad you still enjoyed it though.

22. I thought the title the funniest bit of all.

23. Mr. Binks, This was hilarious, everything from the titile to the “slightly wonky triangle” to Gary the walkabout sheep. It was creative to make a character of the piece of fenced-in fog. Very well written. XD —Susan

24. That was a clever personification of the fog! Brilliant take.

25. draliman says:

Very clever! I love the idea of Gary the wandering sheep 🙂

Was Harry silly or not really? Seems to me he did corral the fog. Clever story.

27. That was GREAT! Loved your little tale of fog and the sheep that goes walkabout! 🙂

28. Sun says:

have to smile thinking about the sheep and the patch of fog roaming . . . such an enjoyable story, Mr. Binks. 🙂