My Lollipop

-This lollipop tastes funny.
That’s nice dear. What lollipop?

-This one.
But I didn’t give you a…

-I found it.
Where?

-Here.
Where is here?

-If you look at me, you’d see.
You got it from the floor?

Why?

-I was hungry.
If you’re hungry, then you ask mummy or daddy for something.

-I did. But then I found a lollipop.
I don’t think you did.

-But it’s on a stick?
It is. But I don’t think it’s a lollipop, Sweetie.

-What is it then?
That’s a good question. Could you give it to mummy?

-No. It’s my lollipop.

This piece was submitted as part of Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. 1 photograph. 100 words. Often with over 100 people taking part.

unidentifiable-on-a-stick

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

46 thoughts on “My Lollipop

I think mummy needs to snatch that before he puts it in his mouth. Yuck! Cute dialogue.

2. Ha ha. How many conversations with children go this way? Jolly well observed piece of writing. Liked it. A lot.

3. Funny and yucky at the same time, that is a serious accomplishment.

4. Time for a good swish of Listerine…. or maybe soap top teach him/her a lesson

Cute dialogue. Randy

5. Really well observed dialogue with the distracted mother. I have been there, I’m sure.
    Claire

This has the irrefutable ring of five year old logic about it. 🙂 Well done.

Great, Binks! You caught the essence of the five year-old very well. 🙂

8. Sorchia D says:

You made me say “Eeeoooo! ” out loud. Good job:)

9. This was my first instinct as well. How many times I have dove at my child before he put something disgusting in his mouth? You wrote it well.

10. This is perfect! I thought the same thing…. YUCK!!!!

11. R. E. Hunter says:

A parent’s nightmare (one of many). Very realistic.

12. i b arora says:

interesting,wish i could attempt something like this

13. Dear Mr. Binks,

Mummy should just let him eat it. Funny and realistic take on the prompt.

Aloha,

Doug

14. shanx says:

I don’t think mummy will be able to snatch it now. Too late.. it’s his lollipop already 😀 haha! Good take on the prompt.

15. wildbilbo says:

Wow, you’ve met my toddler then :).

Cute story, well driven by the short and endearing dialogue.

16. Fun. Hope it’s nothing too bad.

17. Sightsnbytes says:

I love this one! I could easily see my son doing that when he was younger…and maybe still

18. Kids! right! my son picks up just about anything!!! cool observation.

Good dialogue this week, Mr. Binks. A parent’s nightmare for sure.

Cheers!

Dear Mr. Binks – Cute story and Mummy had better jump before he puts into his mouth! Great story! Nan 🙂

21. MythRider says:

Cute. Made me smile. So like a precocious child.

22. Totally nailed that mom and child back and forth! Nice job, Mr Binks!

23. AnnIsikArts says:

I like the rhythm of this. It reads like ‘rap’ and that’s exactly how mother/child dialogues can sound. Well done. I’ll have to remember to think of dialogue in terms of rhythm. I suppose it’s a sort of music.