Terry, Jeff, Colin and Bob

Terry, Jeff, Colin and Bob went to sea in a rancid boat.
They took some jerky and plenty of Bud,
all wrapped in a t-shirt (covered in mud.)

Colin looked over to Bob on his left,
as they nodded then bellowed an ode to Terry ‘n’ Jeff.

“O’ Terry and Jeff, Teff and Jerry, what wonderful friends you are,
you are, you are, you are.”

Then Terry looked at Jeff and Jeff looked at Terry,
before both of them sicked-up on Bob’s shoes.
Yes both of them sicked-up on Bob’s shoes, his shoes.
Yes both of them sicked-up on Bob’s shoes.

Another week another slice of Friday Flash Fiction over at Rochelle’s blog. This week I bring you this piece of randomness based purely on the fact that the Owl and the Pussycat jumped straight into my brain-box when I saw the photo.

I can but apologise to what I have done to that wonderful nonsense poem.

boatpilxr_-antiqued

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

57 thoughts on “Terry, Jeff, Colin and Bob

Quaint little verse that. Funny.

It didn’t quite reach the flow I’d have liked, the 100 words being a much bigger restriction to poems than stories it would seem!

I expect Bob was over the moon at the outcome of that little adventure. 😦 I think it leaves a little to be desired when compared with the original, but nevertheless an ingenious idea.

3. Horus says:

A perfect nonsensical concoction ! 🙂

4. It’s probably too early to say this is my absolute favourite this week, but I think it will be!

5. Very amusing, I love how you immediately thought of the owl and the pussy cat, it didn’t even occur to be when I saw the picture. It’s wonderful how different the inspiration is that people can draw from these prompts.

Dear Peter,
    Your first four lines were sheer poetry. I’d encourage you to rework the rest to iron out the jolts because I think you have a spin-off worth completing and sharing with the world. Good, creative work.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

Concept definitely better than execution here, quite right!

• storydivamg says:

But don’t give up, Peter. Rhymed and metered poetry can be challenging but rewarding. I’ve never read a good sonnet that was crafted in less than an hour. These things take a bit of work, but the reward is worth it. 🙂

7. This made me laugh. Don’t hang your head.

8. Nonsense is a wonderful thing. Nice original take on the prompt.

9. Is this a sick sea-shanty or a seasick-shanty?.. wonderfully funny Mr Binks.

10. wolfsrosebud says:

… ah, a bit of humor you wrote, a bit of humor

11. Then Bob, the good friend he is, he is, throws them overboard, he did, he did. 😀

12. Clever, fun ditty, Mr Binks.

13. I think I ran on that rancid boat
    then one day the boat, the boat, the boat
    wouldn’t float.

It sank.
    That stank, that stank, that stank.

Was fun. I’m done.
    Randy

14. Bastet says:

Oh my … I’m still laughing!

15. ContactRida says:

yes, 100 words is a huge restriction to poetry but you have handled it marvelously with your homage to the owl & pussy cat:) loved it, very clever.

16. Great nonsense in the tradition of the absurdists. Lovely.

17. Sally says:

Oh, I can just imagine those lads……… it made me smile.

18. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Mr. Binks,

I loved this far more than I thought I would at the start. A rollicking tale told true. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

19. I think the bumps in the meter add to the sea-sick feel. Poor Bob. Had me laughing out loud by the end… and that’s not easily done.

20. I like your adaptation of the poem. Actually, one of my abandoned ideas for this prompt was a version of this poem. This one is more realistic though.
    -David

21. Kathy says:

Goodness! What would Mr. Lear say? 🙂

He’d probably ask what I’d been smoking/drinking.

• Kathy says:

I memorized “The Owl and the Pussycat” when I was about five, and it’s still one of my favorite poems. I used to recite it to the students in my high school English classes. They thought I was crazy, but so what?

22. I think Edward Lear would get a kick out of your piece as I did. He would probably respond
    Said the owl to the pussycat
    Keep Bob out of our boat
    His sick is peagreen the colour of our boat
    let Colin and Bob suffer in their rancid boat
    while Terrry and Jeff clean up by the light of the moon.

And you’re right – it isn’t easy.

Laughing while I’m singing 😉

24. Haha I love the limerick rhythm of this.

25. Sarah Ann says:

Love it. This has great rhythm, although too much for Jeff and Terry obviously.

26. kirsten says:

This gave me a great chuckle! I love how each person interprets the photo prompt differently. Yours will be the most fun that I read, I’m sure.

27. MissTiffany says:

This kind of silliness is exactly what I needed after my harrowing week.

Dear Mr. Binks, You are all so much more clever than I. Well done! Nan 🙂

29. penshift says:

I got to the end and discovered I’d been singing along. Damn, good think I was home alone. They already think I’m crazy.